Jack and I are your typical guys’ guys. We have that special place in our hearts for meat! And nothing is more enjoyable when bundled up with warm weather and a grill. I love being in my backyard, overlooking my house and throwing some steaks or burgers on the grill. It’s the simple things in life, you know? Jack and I get so excited every time we finish one of our custom built houses because we know there are so many memories to be made in that space. It’s really rewarding. I stumbles across some fun BBQ facts, so take advantage and get everyone with your BBQ knowledge! They can just call you “The BBQ Master” from now on! Here are all the mouth-watering details you need to get in the mood for everybody’s favorite outdoor summer activity.
• Ellsworth B. A. Zwoyer of Pennsylvania patented his design for charcoal briquettes in 1897.
• The most popular foods for grilling are: burgers (85 percent), steak (80 percent), hot dogs (79 percent) and chicken (73 percent).
• The most popular sides for grilling are: corn (41 percent), potatoes (41 percent) and mixed vegetables (32 percent).
• Three out of four American households own a grill and use it on average of five times per month.
• In the U.S. the northeast claims the most frequent amount of barbecuers, followed by the north central, the south and then the west.
• It is uncertain where the word “barbecue” derives. Contenders include the French phrase “de barbe á queue” meaning from whiskers to tail; the Taino Indian word “barbacoa” meaning to cook meat over a pit of coals; and “barbec” which is a Romanian word for roast mutton.
• Pineapples, bananas, peaches, nectarines, plums, mangos, pears, and even papaya taste great grilled because their natural sugars are caramelized by the heat. Try basting with coconut milk, lime or orange juice to enhance the flavors. Fruit should be grilled over indirect heat.
• Sweet sauces should only be brushed on at the end of grilling because the sugar can burn quickly. Other marinades such as vinegar, citrus oil or yogurt can be brushed on grilled food throughout the cooking process.
Enjoy your New Mexican custom built homes everyone!
And may the best griller win!